Tuesday, May 18, 2010

THE Garden - Week Three.

It is all coming together!  And things are beginning to show growth - I think I can tell the difference three weeks makes??  First, here are some of the photos I hadn't posted yet:

Last weekend we planted the herb garden:
And the "fruit planter box":
Around the corner from the fruit planter, we planted blueberries in the GROUND - shocking concept...
And here are all four planters so far:
We will still make one more this summer to plant another wave - hopefully staggering the "harvest" - and then maybe another large planter next summer.  My husband is building trellises as we speak.
AND THESE ARE THE SEEDS WE PLANTED!!
and radishes!!



and CARROTS!!
I've planted exactly 4 things from seed in my life.  One was sweet little clover my husband and I found in Ireland on our honeymoon, complete with tiny "pot of gold" to plant them in.  I made a miniature tent out of toothpicks and saran wrap just like the instructions told me to.  The teeny little clover sprouted and grew sturdily until about three inches high when I was instructed to remove the itty bitty little tent just in time for the leggy greens to flop over and die on me!  Every. Last. Clover.  I threw the whole damn pot in the garbage.

For our wedding favors we shared Forget-me-not seeds with all of our loving family and friends.  These flowers grow like weeds in Alaska where I grew up.  Think THEY survived?  Not one. 

My third try is on our windowsill right now.  It is a princess terrarium my daughter received as a birthday gift from her dear friend.  It has already been dumped on the floor, and I'm telling you, if those little buggers don't grow, I'm buying a giant hanging basket of impatiens and shoving them in the damn little princess container and lying to her about the whole thing so she'll escape the curse.

Number four?  THE SEEDS YOU SEE GROWING ABOVE!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your garden it looks great! I get excited when my seeds start poking through the ground too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we've been hit by so much rain and HAIL STORMS that at this point i'm glad anything is standing! but the carrots are even thicker and the radishes look GREAT. i'm not sure what to do with all of those radishes...?

    ReplyDelete