Thursday, December 4, 2008

On the Fifth Day of Christmas...

My true love gave to me:
FIIIVE GOOOOLDEN RIIIIIINGS
Four calling birds,
Three french hens,
Two-oo turtle doves,
and a PARTRI-IDGE in a pear treeeee.

The theological translation is the first Five Books of the Old Testament which recounts the history of man’s fall from grace, or they can be MORE birds, namely ring necked pheasants. I'm beginning to think whoever wrote this was just really hungry and into poultry.

SO I was thinking five rings would be the five circles of the Olympics logo, but much closer to my heart is the Special Olympics. And wouldn't you know it, their logo is FIVE little guys, too!
When I was growing up in little Valdez, Alaska, my parents got me involved in volunteering with the Special Olympics. I remember being so overwhelmed by the pride and intensity of the athletes. They had so much determination and drive to win while at the same time being such good sports and supporting each other. I think we could learn a lot from them.

The Special Olympics provides training and athletic competition, year round, to over 2.5 million athletes in over 180 countries! But, according to their website, the movement is still affecting just a small percentage of the up to 190 million people worldwide with intellectual disabilities around the world.

I've been supporting them for years, just email me once you've checked out at marne@catinanapron.com, telling me they are your choice for donation, and I'll send 15% of your purchase to help support them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment